Awards & Distinctions
- LLD (Doctor of Laws) Honoris Causa by Annamalai University.
- Soviet Land Nehru Award, 1968.
- Sri. Jehangir Gandhi Medal and Award for Industrial Peace, 1982.
- Fellow, Indian Society of Criminology.
- Distinguished Fellow, Indian Law Institute, New Delhi.
- The Kumarappa - Reckless Award, 1988. Awarded by The Indian Society of Criminology and earlier by the Tata Institute
of Social Science, Bombay.
- Shri. Dasharathmal Singhvi Citation & Award, 1990, conferred by the Banaras Hindu University.
- Honorary Fellow, Indian Association For Environmental Management, Nagpur-1990.
- Honorary Member, Rotary Clubs of Cochin and Trivandrum South. Recipient of For the Sake the Honour Award,
- Baba Saheb B.R. Ambedkar National Award by the Bharatiya Dalit Sahithya Academy.
- Ramasramam Award 1992.
- Naresh Chandran Sen Gupta Gold Medal for the year 1992, awarded by the Asiatic Society, Calcutta.
- LL.D (Honoris Causa) awarded by the National Law School of India University, in 1995, Bangalore (India) and Bhagatpur
University, Calcutta (India).
- D. Lit. Conferred by Dakshnina Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha.
- Title of 'Living Legend of Law' awarded by the International Bar Association in 1995 in recognition of outstanding service
to the legal profession internationally and for commitment to the Rule of Law.
- D. Lit. conferred by the North Bengal University in 1998.
- M.A. Thomas National Human Rights Award for 1998.
- Manava Seva Award by Rotary International.
- Padma Vibhushan Award by the President of India (the Highest Award next to Bharath Ratna).
- Gold Medal for delivering the VIV FIAMC World Congress Oration on December 5, 1999 in Mumbai.
- Recipient of Vyloppilli Award 1999 for the meritorious service in the fields Human Rights, law, administration etc. The
Award was given in February 2000 by the Sahrudaya Vedi, Thrissur.
- Recipient of Manavasamanvaya Award by Kerala Sanskrit Academy, Thrissur on